Friday, March 7, 2014

50: Say Hello to a New Old Friend



"Well I've tried 'em all and it might sound queer,
but my favourite drug is a nice cold beer,"
 Asylum Street Spankers
Labatt’s brewery was founded in London, Ontario in 1847 by John Kinder Labatt. Now part of Anheuser-Busch InBev (makers of Bud Light, etc.) Labatt’s is Canada’s largest brewer of that sweet golden nectar. Labatt 50 is a beer created with a lot of sentiment. It was first produced in 1950 to represent the 50 year old partnership between Labatt grandsons Hugh and John. Interestingly, 50 was the first light-tasting ale introduced in Canada. Even more interesting, even shocking, is that 50 was Canada’s best selling beer until 1979. 50 dropped in sales due to the increase in popularity of Lagers, which is a trend that seems to be on its’ way out considering the popularity of craft brewed India Pale Ales. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that 50 is making its’ way back into the mainstream, while it may be light, it doesn’t taste like a light beer. It still gives beer lovers that hoppy kick while being refreshing and easy to drink. Regardless, 50 has certainly proved itself as a quality product. Here's an article that I found pretty entertaining and informative about the history of 50.
If you are interested in conspiracy theories and crazy histories I suggest reading about the kidnapping of John Sackville Labatt (one of John Labatt’s nine children). It’s an intriguing story and it will be the perfect complement to that cold bottle of 50. 
 
Fun Fact: For a time, Call the Office in London, ON was the biggest seller of Labatt’s 50.
50
Class: Pale Ale
Brewer: Labatt
Quality: Premium
Alcohol Content: 5%


5 comments:

  1. Interesting blog post, it was definitely noteworthy to hear that it was a bestseller in Canada. I like how you blog about beers I'm not all that familiar with, I'll definitely have to try 50 sometime. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you featured a Canadian brand and enjoyed your added in fun fact. I wasn't aware of the fun facts or actually any of these facts lol. I appreciate the history lesson and how beers, just like fashion, come back around. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I WAS thirsty reading Gillian's blog; now I'm downright parched.

    Great reads, Adrianna!

    You're welcome for that Labatt story, by the way... ;)

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should've given you credit for that in the post. At least I can recognize you properly in the comment section! I suggest you visit the watering hole ASAP for some libations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a big beer drinker. But I am glad I now have your blog to turn to in case I never need beer advice. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete